The Endangered Wildlife Trust’s Wildlife & Transport Programme (EWT-WTP) hosted their annual “Green Mile” Conference on Road & Rail Ecology on 23 October 2013, a follow-up on two previous workshops which laid the ground for the development of a 5-year Road Action Plan.
Over 30 delegates from the transport sectors, environmental consultancies, nature conservation and research institutions participated in the conference.
The aim of the Conference was to:
- Further increase awareness of the issues surrounding road and rail ecology;
- Further understanding of the challenges facing the various stakeholders with a view to addressing these;
- Look at ongoing research and identify gaps that need to be addressed;
- Determine to what extent wildlife is considered during the Environmental Impact Assessment process; and,
- Develop procedures to integrate practical mitigation measures into planning processes so as to achieve improved road and rail safety.
- Read more about the conference in the short report – with a summary and pictures from the day, and also links to the WTP’s cellphone app for recording roadkill data.
- Download presentations and discussions from the conference at the EWT website.