The general goal of IENE is to provide an independent,
international and interdisciplinary arena for exchange and development
of expert knowledge.
By this, we seek to promote a safe and ecologically sustainable pan-European transport infrastructure through recommending measures and planning procedures to conserve biodiversity, counteract landscape fragmentation, and reduce vehicular accidents and wildlife casualties.
More specific objectives of the IENE network are:
- developing methods to prioritize where and when mitigation measures are needed
- harmonising mitigating and compensation measures at European level
- supporting national initiatives concerning environment & transport
- promoting international and multidisciplinary cooperation in research and monitoring activities
- highlighting gaps in knowledge and providing input to upcoming national and international research frameworks
- sensitizing a broader audience, support education around the problem of habitat fragmentation due to transport infrastructure.